Subject Re: [IBO] Links question
Author Helen Borrie
At 04:40 PM 26/06/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>lol - I have been developing in SQL for 4 or 5 years now, and I must admit
>that I have never seen that done (the criteria in the JOIN clause) :-)

I've been in the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff for about the same
length of time and you would be astonished how often I've seen in (in
InterBase apps) AND the support lists.

I worked with a guy who insisted on putting ALL of the search criteria in
the JOIN clauses. His reason: it works and it saves typing - AND is 2
characters shorter than WHERE. IB's implementation of SQL wasn't
bomb-proof - I don't suppose any is. But along come the open-sourcers,
purists and perfectionists all, with the opportunity to fix what's
broke. There was a *lot* of that going on in Firebird in 2000-2001.

From 1.5 on (maybe even 1.0, I can't recall) you can't do this any more:

select a.f1, a.f2, b.fa, b.fb, c.fx, c.fy
from a, b
join c on...

Anyways, this has strayed far from "Links question"...

H.