Subject RE: [IBO] Problem with IB_LookupCombo
Author Norman Dunbar
Hi Christoph,

Black colour sounds like you have not opened the query/cursor associated
with the dropdown. However, if this is not the case, then here are some
rough notes from a little project of mine :

A TIB_Query to select the code field and the description field from the
appropriate table, ordered as desired. Call it qryLookup, and a TIB_DataSet
which is connected to it. SQL = 'select code_field, description_field from
lookup_table order by description_field'.

Set the TIB_LookupCombo's DataSource field to the above query. (qryLookup)

Set the TIB_LookupCombo's KeySource to the 'main' dataset - the one which
has a code field for which you wish to show the description. (qryMain in my
case).

Set the KeyLinksAutoDefine property to false on the query above (qryLookup)
Set the KeyLinks property to the correct setting. See below.

Optionally set the code field to non-visible in qryLookup's FieldsVisible
property.

Open the lookup dataset when the form is being shown for the first time.
[Optionally] refresh it as and when required.

Close & unprepare it when the form is closed.

Setting keylinks needs to be the
'lookup_table.primary_key=main_table.code_field' and there should be no
spaces between the equal (=) sign and every thing else.

The above works for me - provided I remember to specify the keylinks using
table and column names and NOT query names, and that I remember to open the
qryLookup as well :o)

HTH

Cheers,
Norman.