Subject Re: [IBO] IBO vs IBX (Perfomance problem)
Author brian_nuckels
--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...> wrote:

> Well, I'm not a guy, but...you shouldn't be using TIBOQuery!!
>
> A service app doesn't have a GUI, so there is no point in using the
> TDataset-compatible components. However, if you are devoted to the
> familiarity of this architecture, you still don't need TIBOQuery.
TIB_DSQL
> is the one you use where you are executing statements (including
EXECUTE
> PROCEDURE). Use TIB_Cursor if your app needs to step through a
dataset
> from top to bottom. It gets you a row-by-row dataset without the
overload

I agree with this statement in general, but sometimes it becomes
necessary to use the TDataSet descended components. For example, in
multi-tiered apps where you are using TProvider or a TProvider
descendant. In these cases, like in the ASTA based system I'm
developing, we are forced to resort to TIBOQuery instead of
TIB_Cursor and pay the performance penalty. Fortunately, I can still
use TIB_DSQL for I/U/D's by hooking an event.

I think it would be beneficial to have a TIB_Cursor equivalent
descended from TDataSet. I may attempt this myself, but I have no
experience writing dataset components. Anyone already done this?