Subject Re: [IBO] How open a dataset with only a Bookmark record?
Author Marco Menardi
--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, "Alan McDonald" <alan@m...> wrote:
> another difference is that I never select * - I always select
field1, field2
> etc
> I don't know if that makes a difference but I think helen has
mentioned many
> times that select * is not a good way to go, even though some people
argue
> that it should be OK
> Alan

select * from customer was only an example, a short form since does
not care for the explaination of my problem here.
FetchAll tells the client if or if not fetch all the records from the
server, but hte server is ready to return all the dataset.
i.e. select * from customer order by address
makes the server build a return dataset ordered by the required field,
regardless if only one row is fetched by the client or not.
And, AFAIR, if you give IBO enought time, it fetches the remaining
rows in background.
My goal is to request to the server only the desired record using
Bookmark.
thanks
Marco Menardi