Subject RE: [IBO] SQL SELECT problem
Author Philip A. Stephens
the following (typed directly into interactive SQL in IBOConsole) returns 9
rows:

SELECT * FROM FCDX_ZONES WHERE DESCRIPTION CONTAINING 'A14' ORDER BY
DESCRIPTION

changing this to:

SELECT FIRST 5 * FROM FCDX_ZONES WHERE DESCRIPTION CONTAINING 'A14' ORDER BY
DESCRIPTION

results in (Cut and paste this time):

<<ISC ERROR CODE:335544569

ISC ERROR MESSAGE:
Dynamic SQL Error
SQL error code = -104
Token unknown - line 2, char 6
,

STATEMENT:
TIBOInternalDataset:
"<TApplication>.frmMain.dlgWisql_3.<TIBOQuery>.<TIBOInternalDataset>."

Statement: SELECT FIRST 5 * FROM FCDX_ZONES WHERE DESCRIPTION CONTAINING
'A14' ORDER BY DESCRIPTION >>

The same query, cut and pasted into IBAccess results in 5 rows returned.

This is a different query than previously (below) described, but on the same
table.

the following:

SELECT FIRST 10 * FROM MPERSON WHERE PERLAST CONTAINING 'STE' ORDER BY
PERLAST

against a table in the same database results in 10 records...

The DB is Firebird 1.0 on Windows 2000 and Win NT4. The database uses
Dialect 3. The results using IBO_XXX V4.2.I is the same.

There are no hidden characters, (I retyped the whole string, etc) and the
above is pasted from IBO_Console. The contents of 'XXX' is normally suppled
dynamically and always seems to cause the error. I have just dropped the
table and re-built it with ISQL and get the same results. The problem
persists between a local DB (Win 2000 Laptop) and the server (Win NT4 SP6).

The constant is that against this table anything with 'FIRST X' fails, but
works (as above) in a different query. I am at a loss, I can work around the
problem, but would like to know what I am doing wrong!!!

Any help appreciated - Phil Stephens :-(

PS: Helen... Having read the interview... I thought we (Aussies) drove you
crazy by calling Australia "the main island". ;-)