Subject Re: [IBO] Plans for IBO Help file ....?
Author Jason Wharton
> I'm not used to needing a "Getting Started Guide", and if it *is*
necessary,
> it should be bundled with the product.

I did offer it in the past as an incentive for those who purchase the Total
or Data Access Bundle. Seems there is some text somewhere still left over
from that cause people are telling me they expect to get it. That special
has expired. (Webmaster, please find where this is coming from.) I could
offer the special again I suppose.

But, let me make this point again, I spent a lot of $$ in the production of
this high quality piece of documentation. What I am asking for it is a total
bargain when people realize they have saved themselves a whole lot of time
and effort. In a lot of cases those who are using IBO for free under the
terms of the Trustware License do opt to purchase the guide and this is the
only income I realize from this segment of my customer base. The GSG
represents an important level of financial contribution people make to IBO.

There are the economic arguments that giving it away for free would increase
sales of bundles, etc. I disagree with this. People in the market for what
IBO has to offer are not going to be critically swayed by getting this guide
for free. In fact, seeing that there is a high quality guide they can pay a
little money for is likely going to be seen as a plus, instead of a
negative. This means there is a sufficient market for the tool that it will
even support a third party publication.

Regards,
Jason Wharton
CPS - Mesa AZ
http://www.ibobjects.com

-- We may not have it all together --
-- But together we have it all --

"Bj�rge S�ther" <bjorge@...> wrote in message
> An introduction to IBO should start with something like: "To be happy with
> IBO, you need to think differently from what you're used to. Some of the
> differences stems from IB architecture "pecualiarities", while the rest of
> it has to do with a somewhat different philosophy on working with database
> applications.
>
> I'd like to know this *before* deciding to go for IBO.
>
> I'm not going to spend more time telling you people about my feels for
IBO.
> I don't believe I'm gonna be a project contributor, as my spent $395
> somewhat contradicts to the feeling of being part of a "volunteer
> developer's community". If I'm still using IBO a few months from now, I'll
> surely gonna be trying to help other developers through this forum.
>
> from ibobjects homepage:
>
> <snip>
>
> Some Benefits of IB Objects
>
> * Switch from BDE to IBO in seconds with no loss of functionality!
> [snipped some *true* statements]
>

> * 2 to 5 times overall performance increase is typical
>
> </snip>
>
> ...in my part of the world, you're normally *very* careful with such
> statements. I know marketing is different on the other side of the
Atlantic
> Ocean, and I should probably have recognized the "slight exaggerations".
>
> A tip:
>
> I suggest that in the future, IBO should either: a) Use some kind of
IBO-sql