Subject Re: [IBO] How to reduce net traffic on prepare?
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:25 PM 21/01/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Helen!
>
>I have often asked myself... Since there's a Defaults.IBO i the Metadata
>cache. Howcome GetServerDefaults makes everything so much slower (I refer to
>"really"). If the defaults are cached, should not ColumnAttributes and
>GetServerDefaults be the same once the metadata has been cached?

I'll start by saying I DON'T KNOW. I seemed to recall some changes being
made to GetServerDefaults and, browsing the release notes, found this at 4.2Ga:

"I revamped the GetServerDefaults functionality so that the values are
cached in the schema cache and not required to be fetched from the server
over and over again for each insert. I also changed the format of the
schema cache so that the values could be associated with proper
table.field=value notation instead of the way it was before. If you are
making use of the SchemaCache.Defaults for the list of columns which are
defaulted on the server you will need to change your code. I expect that
nobody is making use of this. I have not yet been able to test all working
combinations, but since they weren't working yet 100% anyway I'm releasing
this now so the other items in this sub-release are not held up."

There is nothing after that to indicate any further change. Not sure what
to suggest on the strength of this - is it relevant to your problem?

Helen