Subject Re: [IBO] How to reduce net traffic on prepare?
Author Michael Fung <ibo@cmsweb.com>
--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@t...> wrote:
> At 08:13 AM 19/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> >Dear Jason,
> >
> >I have measured the network traffic generated by a prepare of a
> >simple query. It takes about 40Kbytes server to client, and 1Kbytes
> >client to server. Since the query is so simple, there shouldn't be
> >such amount of information coming from the server. Is it possible
> >make IBO to lower the server to client traffic?
> >
> >Below is the prepare process I captured in the monitor:
> >
> >19/1/2003 15:58:10 - /*---
> >PREPARE STATEMENT
> >TR_HANDLE = 4149900
> >STMT_HANDLE = 4143644
> >
> >SELECT ID
> > , NAME
> > , UNITEST
> > , TESTDM
> >FROM DUMY
> >
> >PLAN (DUMY NATURAL)
> >
> >FIELDS = [ Version 1 SQLd 4 SQLn 30
> > DUMY.ID = <NIL>
> > DUMY.NAME = <NIL>
> > DUMY.UNITEST = <NIL>
> > DUMY.TESTDM = <NIL> ]
> >
> >SECONDS = 1.047
> >----*/
>
> Hello Michael,
> Could you begin by providing details of the conditions under which
you
> observed this? Since slow performance is a mix of network
conditions,
> metadata structure and application conditions, without information
it is
> impossible to determine what might be causing your problems.

Dear Helen,

The point is I know the user will use access from place to place, the
network condidtion is sometimes good sometimes poor, I have no
control over it. That is why I want to minimize the traffic required,
so that the speed will not be too unbearable during slow connections
(like using modem dialup). Yes, the real challenge here is to make
traffic as small as possible. I just hope there is some switches in
IBO that can turn down the traffic.

Rgds,
Michael