Subject RE: [IBO] Master/Detail - AfterOpen
Author Alan McDonald
By the sounds of it, the client dataset does not need to open and close. To
quote Jason again

"Once a detail dataset is Active it remains Active even when the master
dataset is changing from record to record.

Technically, on the server there is a new cursor opened but that doesn't
necessarily have to correspond with the dataset itself doing an open and
close.

There clearly is a separation between what the server requires and what
shows up in the client dataset mechanism."

It could, therefore, be that TQuery just fires the events even though the
client dataset is not closed and opened. The server cursor is opening and
closing. In any case, the close and open event on the client can fire and
not disturb anything, it just allows actions to be taken at that time i.e.
when the server cursor is close and re-opened.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Lester Caine [mailto:lester@...]
Sent: Tuesday, 14 January 2003 6:40 PM
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [IBO] Master/Detail - AfterOpen

> Sounds like I ought to do likewise.
> I'll mark this as an item to take care of.

I'll repeat my previous question - reworded.

In IBO - does the detail need to close and reopen if the
relevent detail information is already cached?

I work the way Helen has suggested, so would not use those
triggers anyway, but a couple of my detail tables could well
be showing the same record before and after the master
scroll. In that case ( with IBO's automatic stuff ) isn't
IBO clever enough to know not to re-fetch the data, in which
case there would not be an open and close on that detail?

Just trying to expand my understanding <g>

--
Lester Caine