Subject Re: Connect to Database calls Generator
Author Marco Menardi <mmenaz@lycosmail.com>
I do use generatorlink property and there are no "false" generator
increase at start time in my app (ib 4.2ib, SQLmonitor run at start time).
I think that Helen did not suggest you to avoid generatorlink, but
avoid putting an empty dataset in edit state if not required.
It's good generate an ID before a new row is posted, but this I think
can be a problem in a master of a master-detail relationship, if you
"insert" the master, insert the detail and then post the detail (at
this poing has a null as master key).
I suggest you to try to isolate the origin of the "bad" generator
call, since it's not a good sign ;)
regards
Marco Menardi

--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, "Florian Hector" <FHector@w...> wrote:
> Helen,
>
> thank you very much, this has helped a lot.
>
> > value, is not (or ought not to be) a problem. You should review your
> > program flow, however, and only call DML methods on queries when
the DML
> > operation is actually needed.
>
> I left the GeneratorLink property undefined and assign a newly generated
> value just before a new row is posted.
> However, I could only get it pass the compiler with
> ...FieldByName('ID').AsInteger :=
cnBestell.Gen_ID('Gen_tabBestell',1), note