Subject Re: [IBO] Daniel Rail : re: Problems connecting using FB
Author Claudio Valderrama C.
"Daniel Rail" <daniel@...> wrote in message
news:5.1.0.14.2.20020407105422.00c3cb78@......

> ISC ERROR MESSAGE:
> Unable to complete network request to host "server name".
> Failed to establish a connection.
> The system could not find the environment
> option that was entered.

This is not a message that comes from the engine.
I think something is bad configured in your OS.

> I replaced the real server name above for security reasons.
>
> The server is active and pingable, it's also a webserver and fully
> active. And, I can connect to the database server via my second machine
at
> my disposal using the same gds32.dll.

You never give a DLL the access on a firewall. At least with a SW firewall
that's more involved with the OS than a HW firewall, what the filter sees is
the program, not the DLL. The DLL is simply running in the address space of
the program that loaded it. You should allow the application to connect.
This is why trojaned extensions to IE and plug-ins to Netscape are almost
impossible to detect: you only see the browser making the connection. That's
the way the infamous Aureate/Radiate spyware works, for example.

Until now, it seems that your problems aren't related to IB/FB.

C.
--
Claudio Valderrama C. - http://www.cvalde.com - http://www.firebirdSql.org
Independent developer