Subject Re: [IBO] New user - IB_Query help
Author Helen Borrie (TeamIBO)
At 12:55 AM 08-04-02 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi. I am just starting to use IBO. I am converting an application
>from IBExpress for the IBO ( using Firebird and IBO last releases).
>I had no problems at all with the select SQL operations, ( I started
>the conversion by consulting and report units ), but I need some help
>for insert and update operations with the IB_Query. If I use the
>IB_updatebar everything works beautifully. But I need to command
>insertions and updates by code. It is really very usefull the way
>IBO creates the insert, delete and update SQL strings, but how to use
>then ? How to "ask" to IB_Query to use the insert or the delete SQL
>string ?

Edison,
If your insert, update and deletes simply work with the fields in the
current row of the select, you don't need to use the InsertSQL, EditSQL and
DeleteSQL strings at all - IBO will construct them automatically when you post.

If you have custom statements to perform any of these operations, that is
when you use the xxxxxSQL properties.

Always with IBO, you need to have correct KeyLinks for your datasets. If
the dataset is unusual (e.g. a join, or doesn't contain the primary key)
it's safest to set them yourself. If the primary key is in the dataset and
is unique, you can just set KeylinksAutodefine to True.

Set the RequestLive property to True.

In all cases, all you have to do is call the Insert, Edit or Delete
method. In the case of custom SQL, e.g. calling a stored procedure, you
may need to pass input parameters yourself. However, if the parameter
names of the xxxxSQL statements match the field names of the dataset, IBO
will take care of these, too.

regards,
Helen Borrie (TeamIBO Support)

** Please don't email your support questions privately **
Ask on the list and everyone benefits
Don't forget the IB Objects online FAQ - link from any page at
www.ibobjects.com