Subject Re: [IBO] Re: Problem with cached updates
Author Helen Borrie (TeamIBO)
At 04:14 PM 03-02-02 +0000, you wrote:
>I changed the field to NOEDIT. The problem is gone.
>All works fine. If I set the field back to READONLY, the problem
>reappears. I suspect there is some strange bug with cachedupdates
>and readonly fields.

Possibly - but, in a dataset, there is a difference between ReadOnly and NOEDIT. ReadOnly means (and always has) that literally nothing can write to the field (not even the application). NOEDIT means the user can't edit it, even if "database rules" would permit it.

In contrast, setting a field in a control to be read-only would prevent editing it via the control, without blocking the application from doing so directly in the database.

It's just not the IBO way to use controls to control data attributes. Setting NOEDIT is the right way to achieve what you want, I think.

regards,
Helen Borrie (TeamIBO Support)

** Please don't email your support questions privately **
Ask on the list and everyone benefits
Don't forget the IB Objects online FAQ - link from any page at www.ibobjects.com