Subject Re: [IBO] Event ports
Author Ricardo Costa (Agenda Digital Ltda)
Helen,

Thanks for your reply.
Actually I'm using Firebird RC2 and IBO 4.2., and I still have this same
problem.
Who told me about the port communication problem was Lester in:

" It would suggest that your network configuration is not allowing
connections on some ports. While port 3050 is used
for the main database connection, other port numbers are used for events (
Not sure which as I bypass events anyway
). These other port numbers are not being allowed through your firewall. "

In the article at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=213460&group_id=902
8&atid=109028
they track this problem with IB 6 also. But their fix do not work for me.

With LAN access there is no problem at all using this.
If I use this application on other server, ISP's one (they use IB6), there
is no problem with the events.

Could it be a Firebird problem ?

Thanks again for your attention, as always.

--

Ricardo Costa
Agenda Digital Ltda
> At 08:19 AM 01-02-02 -0200, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >Does anyone nows witch port an event uses to communicate with a dial-up
> >connection, instead of 3050?
>
> I wasn't aware that an event communicated with a dialup connection at all.
It communicates with with a client, through the API. At the network level,
communication is through the TCP/IP connection - the server doesn't know nor
care whether you are on a dialup or a NIC card. If the server is listening
on port 3050 (the default) then that's the channel for all server-client
communication.

> >I have asked at ib-support group and Lester gave some ideas to work
around
> >it, but it would be better to do it via events.
>
> I followed this thread (sort of, hard to make head or tail of it) and I
think there is general confusion all around.

> The IB 5.5 and 5.6 Windows client programs (gds32.dll) introduced a
threading problem regarding events which caused an access violation when you
used the Delphi VCL's IB_EventAlerter component. I believe the IBX Event
component (can't recall its name) had a similar problem with the first IB 6
betas at some stage (don't know if it was ever fixed).

> AFAIK, Jason's IB_Events component had this problem with 5.5 and 5.6 and
the recommended workaround was to use the IB 5.1 version of gds32.dll. We
carry a copy of it on the website for any 5.x users who need it.

> As far as I know, IB_Events doesn't have this problem with the IB 6 or
Firebird versions of gds32.dll.

> regards,
> Helen Borrie (TeamIBO Support)
>
> ** Please don't email your support questions privately **
> Ask on the list and everyone benefits
> Don't forget the IB Objects online FAQ - link from any page at
www.ibobjects.com

> IB Objects - direct, complete, custom connectivity to Firebird or
InterBase