Subject Re: [IBO] Event ports
Author Helen Borrie (TeamIBO)
At 08:19 AM 01-02-02 -0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>Does anyone nows witch port an event uses to communicate with a dial-up
>connection, instead of 3050?

I wasn't aware that an event communicated with a dialup connection at all. It communicates with with a client, through the API. At the network level, communication is through the TCP/IP connection - the server doesn't know nor care whether you are on a dialup or a NIC card. If the server is listening on port 3050 (the default) then that's the channel for all server-client communication.

>I have asked at ib-support group and Lester gave some ideas to work around
>it, but it would be better to do it via events.

I followed this thread (sort of, hard to make head or tail of it) and I think there is general confusion all around.

The IB 5.5 and 5.6 Windows client programs (gds32.dll) introduced a threading problem regarding events which caused an access violation when you used the Delphi VCL's IB_EventAlerter component. I believe the IBX Event component (can't recall its name) had a similar problem with the first IB 6 betas at some stage (don't know if it was ever fixed).

AFAIK, Jason's IB_Events component had this problem with 5.5 and 5.6 and the recommended workaround was to use the IB 5.1 version of gds32.dll. We carry a copy of it on the website for any 5.x users who need it.

As far as I know, IB_Events doesn't have this problem with the IB 6 or Firebird versions of gds32.dll.

regards,
Helen Borrie (TeamIBO Support)

** Please don't email your support questions privately **
Ask on the list and everyone benefits
Don't forget the IB Objects online FAQ - link from any page at www.ibobjects.com