Subject Re: [IBO] IBO + Firebird + MIDAS recommendations
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:02 AM 17-12-02 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We are converting a 2-tier project that worked flawless with IBO to 3-
>tier. The options at the moment are MIDAS and DbOvernet. For both I have
>a basic framework ready.
>
>Has anybody used IBO + Firebird + MIDAS before??
>The reason I ask is because I can get the middleware, we use
>socketserver, to lock up consistently. This happens when I access the
>middleware with more than one client. My guess is that it has something
>to do with threading.
>DbOvernet by default doesn't thread and here I don't see any lockups.
>
>I am using a single TDataModule that contains
>IB_Connection
>IB_Transaction
>Session Management

By Session Management, do you mean that you explicitly drop a TIB_Session
into the datamodule and set the IB_Connection's IB_Session property to it?
It won't be enough if you are just using IB_SessionProps to access the
default session...

>Each TRemoteDataModule uses
>Multiple Instance
>Apartment

I can't comment on this with assurance, but it's my belief that with IBO
you can use the neutral or the free-threading model, provided the instances
of your RDM are properly isolated in their own IB_Session. Can you provide
more information about your session management in the two-tier app?

>I haven't tried
>Single Instance
>Single
>
>yet

I don't believe it will be necessary to go to this extreme.

>Furthermore I am still using IBO3 but thinking about going to IBO4

IBO3 is two-year-old technology that peaked with Delphi 5. The fact that
you mention "Midas" suggests you are still at D5 or lower. What version of
Delphi or CPPB are you planning to use for the redevelopment?

Helen