Subject Re: [IBO] Possible Incorrect Logic in TIB_LookupCombo
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:13 AM 09-10-02 +0000, you wrote:

> > Default values are used when inserting a record (but then I think
> > that has already been mentioned). Any other behaviour you need to
>
> Yes, that is the normal case. But IBO 'owns' the DefaultValues list
>and can use it however it sees fit. What you are really saying is
>that 'IBO has decided that DefaultValues is to be only used on
>inserts'. I fail to see why IBO can't expand its use of this list to
>include this situation. IMO, it makes sense that the DefaultValues
>entry is to be accessed whenever IBO needs a default value for that
>field regardless of whether its on an insert or on a re-
>initialization of a field.

Your assumptions are inconsistent with those upon which the database rules
operate. Defaults apply to insertions and are deliberately NOT resorted
to, to replace values that get cleared by an operation on an existing
record. The database provides Before Update triggers to cater for contrary
requirements. If you want to "re-initialise" a field on the client side
instead, you can do so yourself in the BeforePost event - including
accessing DefaultValues[] if that's what you want - there is no ogre with a
big stick going to clobber you for making your own idiosyncratic use of
DefaultValues[]. :-)

It's a stretch to expect IBO to provide standard behaviour that contradicts
server behaviour.

Helen