Subject Re: [IBO] How To InsertSQL, EditSQL & DeleteSQL
Author Anthony
So all other updates are ignore, do I have to set applied to true.

What about the params - do I have to assign them myself?

Will my plan work as I layed it out in my first post - ignoring the
execute issue.

--- In IBObjects@y..., Helen Borrie <helebor@d...> wrote:
> At 08:49 AM 01-06-01 +0000, you wrote:
> >I have a Midas app, using IBO_Queries on the middle tier.
> >On the client I am using a 1st class DBTreeview to navigate
through
> >the data.
> >I have a Customer table and a premises table, joined by refno.
> >
> >Now, what I want to do is to be able to join the 2 tables with my
> >IBOQuery, so that the users can 'toggle' between navigating by
> >Customer.Surname and Premises.Postcode.
> >
> >My problems start with actually alterring the data.
> >
> >The way I understand it, I can use EditSQL etc to do this.
> >I have generated the actual SQL and I believe I can assign all the
> >parameters in the "BeforeUpdateRecord" event of my datasetprovider
> >and then set Applied to True.
> >
> >However, I don't know how to actually execute the EditSQL etc. I
> >mean, I can't just go ExecSQL - how does it know if it is deleting
or
> >editting etc?
> >
> >So basically I want to know how to do it and if what I am
planning
> >will work, below is how I think it should be done - ???? denote
not
> >sure.
> >

> >In the Before Update record of the DSP
> >
> >if UpdateKind = ukInsert then
> >begin
> > parambyname('AAA').AsString := DeltaDS.FieldByName
('AAA').NewValue;
> >..
> >ExecuteInsertSQL;???????
>
> No, you don't call the Execute method yourself, the dataset does it
for you. Basically, the InsertSQL is posted when you call Post from
Insert mode; EditSQL when posting from Edit mode; and DeleteSQL
when posting from Delete mode. (All data access components execute
DML when they post; you only "know" about it if you need to define
special DML statements via these "UpdateSQL" properties...)