Subject Re: [IBO] Virtual data in IBO?
Author Gary@Simpac.co.uk
Jason,

That is what I'm doing! The problem is that I don't have a unique key
field (as, in some cases, the data, i.e. the zeroes, doesn't actually
exist in the database).

I need a unique field passed back from the select statement, and I
can generate a value if the data doesn't exist, but as their isn't
really a corresponding record in the database, I obviously get error
messages when I try to edit the values (as you can't edit what isn't
there!)

I'm writing a program which shows three figures for each month, over
a twelve month period. Between zero and twelve of these months might
actually have data stored in the database - the rest just don't
exist. What I need is a method of filling a grid with zeros when the
figures don't exist, and being able to alter these zeroes to any
other value, which then DOES become a record in the database. So, in
effect I'm inserting, rather than editing, but it doesn't look like
that to the user.

So - is there any way to avoid the keylinks property? I could pass
back a null, or zeros as the key, then generate a real unique value
when I do the insert/edit stored procedure, but I can't get this to
work (I get an error about being unable to generate a cursor without
a key, or something similar).

Sorry I can't elaborate more - it's quite a difficult one to describe
properly. I know I could simply populate the table with zeroes, but
I'm a bit of a perfectionist!

Bamber.

--- In IBObjects@y..., "Jason Wharton" <jwharton@i...> wrote:
> Use stored procedures for all the operations. Just plug in
additional stored
> procedures to handle insert, update and delete in the InsertSQL,
EditSQL and
> DeleteSQL properties.
>
> HTH,
> Jason Wharton
> CPS - Mesa AZ
> http://www.ibobjects.com

The
> > problem arises when it comes to editing/inserting/deleting from
the
> > database table, as I cannot properly define a unique field for the
> > keylinks (because some of the data is 'virtual', if you see what I
> > mean). If there was any way I could ignore the keylink setting, I
> > could write a stored procedure which either 'inserted'
or 'updated'

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/