Subject Re: [IBO] IBO change-over
Author Helen Borrie
At 11:29 AM 01-05-01 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm converting a database, and C/S software D5,from BDE(progressODBC) to
>IBO.and firebird
>
>presently I have a datamodule with 2 wwdatasource, and 2 wwtables.
>
>in order to start of correctly ?
>
>I would use IB_connection, with ibotables and linked to wwdatasources.
>OR
>should I be doing it differently like adding a IBOdatabase and using
>ib_datasources(which would make my mods more difficult and involved) and
>using SQL components?
>
>basically i'm asking what is the correct way to setup a c/s software in
>order to use IBO and firebird most effficiently?

OK. First of all, there are two completely separate series of components. The ones with the prefix TIBO are compatible with TDataset (and therefore compatible with your Infopower controls).

The TIB_ ones use the "native IBO" architecture...the TIB_ controls work with them and NOT with the TIBO ones.

When doing the initial conversion from BDE or ODBC apps, especially if you have been using a desktop DBMS like Progress, is to convert directly to the TIBO components. This is very quick to do and there is full help for it in the IB Objects help file. You can continue to use any Tww controls your app currently uses. Depending on your Infopower version, you may need to use the TwwIBO.. components in the substitution.

If you are going to switch over to "native IBO" eventually, you will probably need to do a lot of redesigning to make a true client/server application and fully utilize the c/s features of native IBO. In so doing, you will need to eliminate your table components (replace them with the appropriate TIB_Statement descendants) - they don't have a place in c/s and native IBO doesn't support them.

hth
Helen

All for Open and Open for All