Subject RE: [IBO] IBO advertising
Author Stephen Ebbrell
Jason,
I cannot remember seeing one of your advertisements in a magazine here in
the UK, if I did then it did not influence me one bit, what did make my mind
up was trying all the Interbase third party components, they are all easy
enough to find on the Net, IBOjects stood out head and shoulders from the
rest.

As I see it, the point of your advertising is to get people to try IBOjects
(get them to your website), but from my experience people are going to land
there anyway, Magazine Advertisement or no Magazine Advertisement.
You have a large presence on the Net with a lot of good reports, is anyone
going to ignore your site after seeing statements on the Net indicating that
IBObjects are a *requirement* for Interbase? I think not.

A much better way of catching the fish would be to include a short text file
with the download explaining exactly what to enter in the various Links
properties, I hadn't a clue what to do with them until I came across a reply
you gave to a user in this list, then suddenly the light in the room was
switched on... Previously I had given up on IBOjects, a number of times,
simply because I just could not get off the starting grid due to my being
unable to figure out what to enter into the various Links properties, the
samples files have too many properties entered which makes it difficult for
a newcomer to tell what property is doing what, if you see what I mean...

In other words, the best way to make sure someone buys IBObjects is to make
it possible for them to get up and running in short time, all the
advertising in the world isn't going to make them buy if they give up in
frustration, not everyone has the time or the inclination trying to figure
out key elements of the components which should have been explained up
front.

I know you have released a "Getting Started" CD but someone evaluating the
components is hardly likely to purchase such a product before they have
decided that they are going to be able to use the components. I haven't seen
the "Getting Started" CD but I would have thought it better to include it in
the initial download free of charge if it is going to be instrumental in
converting them to IBOjects.

If the above appears a little critical it is due to my initial trials with
IBOjects, two minutes after reading your reply concerning Link properties I
was up and away, adding features I have never had previously.
It's only after you leave the starting block that one realises all the work
which has gone into IBOjects over the years, and all to make our sad lives
just that bit happier...

My advise to anyone trying to get to grips with IBObjects is to stick on in
there, they are so productive you will never be able to live without them.

Sorry if I went on a bit, Stephen Ebbrell.