Subject RE: AW: [IBO] Offtopic: Data replication.
Author DaveR
If it's only 150 lines of code, why not reinvent the wheel under your own
copyright? If it was a total rewrite you would prob. be OK unless your
employer has a global ownership clause.

I once got offered a contract for five hours teaching a week - conditional
on everything I "invented" (including all code) during my the term of my
employment (not just the five hours a week) being owned by the college. No
thanks!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: dalton [mailto:dalton]On Behalf Of Dalton Calford
Sent: 11 April 2001 18:25
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: AW: [IBO] Offtopic: Data replication.

If you forget the whole service concept and write it as a simple linear
program (hint from my experience) that, when started, connects to source
db, runs a procedure that returns a result set, and connects to a second
db and inserts the data into another stored procedure. When the insert
is finished, the program exits. Command line or ini file for the
programs list of servers/user names/passwords/stored procedures to run
etc.

The whole program is under 150 lines of code. All replication rules
reside in the database. The program is just a glorified datapump. No
threads, no user interface, no problems, the only complexity is the two
phase commit accross the databases.
By using stored procedures to provide the data to be pumped, as well as
a stored procedure to accept the pumped data, you do not need any
metadata queries. If the database has procedure with the correct names
and parameters, it works.
This allows the programmer to make any business replication rule changes
they want without needing to understand C or Pascal.

You can then port that code into any environment you want (Free pascal
comes to mind, cause that is what we used) and it would work with any
database that has those procedures.

You can then use a service application, or a cron daemon to fire off the
program on a set basis.

Simple, effective, easy to debug and port, can be written in C or
pascal. If the code was my copywrite, I would post it.

best regards

Dalton