Subject Re: [IBO] IBO speed vs BDE?
Author hannes hernler
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Chuck Belanger <phytotech@...>
>....My experience has been with Visual
>FoxPro which would easily be 100x faster than BDE....

hi,
a little story:
I heard that TWA (airline) is about a 100 times faster
than Greyhound (late USA-bus company).

??
where? from New York to L.A.? yes.
from N.Y. to New Jersey? from 81st street to 85th street? NO
from N.Y. to London? no, you never came there with Greyhound.
from N.Y. to Little Big Horn? no, you never came there with TWA.

every database system has it´s advantages and so it´s own methods
and algorithms to solve a special problem.
I had a query in IB that needed 2-3 sec, 120000 internal fetches...
I changed 2 indices, built a stored procedure and got a solution that
only fetched 130 times internally and needed no time.

conclusion: first optimize your database, you can gain 1000 %
in performance. then try to trim you access and increase speed
some more 20%.

hannes