Subject Re: [IBO] Database Availability
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:37 AM 11-04-01 +0530, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>The situation is as Follows
>
>A 10 w9x Node 10baseT Lan with a NT Server (other sites may
>have Linux/Solaris etc.etc.) running
>IB 6 (Borland Binaries)> The whole installation is usually
>in same hall/building in and around
>100/200 M apart. The database size is 40 MB likely to grow
>100 M or max. 200M. The application is
>time critical and database is frequently updating minute to
>minute.
>
>What we want is to have safety against failure of server.
>When main server fails its OK to have
>slow W9x Node acting as server till it is repaired.
>The main question is how to have exact copy
>of database when the server failed.
>
>A solution to this is expected.

Really? ;)

This is off-topic for the IBO list, but...

Look up the documentation in the LangRef for CREATE SHADOW.

"CREATE SHADOW is used to guard against loss of access to a database by establishing one or more copies of the database on secondary storage devices. Each shadow set is designated by a unique positive integer."

It's all in there - what it is, how it works, how to do it, tips for managing shadows, etc. etc.

<moderator hat on>
Please would you find out why you are double-posting to this list and fix it? Thanks.
</moderator hat off>

Cheers,
Helen

All for Open and Open for All