Subject Re: [IBO] How to avoid lookup table from fetching all records ?
Author Harald Klomann
Geraldo Lopes de Souza wrote:

> I know I could establish a master detail relationship to achieve the same
> result and still be capable of making search. The problem is that the search
> would be based on EXISTS clause which isn't very fast.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Geraldo Lopes de Souza

Geraldo,

I don´t really understand exactly what you want to do. Having a lookup dataset
without having a lookupcombo bind to it doesn´t make sense to me.

If you just want to display and search via a lookup field, but edit the ID field,
why don´t you use a inline select ? That would match your needs exactly, so far
I understand.

Like:

select a,b,your_ID, (select Your_Description from YourLookupTable L where L.ID=T.ID)
from YourTable T

So you don´t need a lookup dataset, but you see your description, you can edit your ID
and you can search on your description/ID.

Is it this you want ?

Harald