Subject Re: [IBO] Stored Procedure or Trigger
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:17 AM 23-03-01 -0800, you wrote:

>Helen,
>
>I have a quick question regarding this remark you made in response to
>another question.
>
> > Don't use a stored procedure.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Helen
> >

>Do you advise not using a SP because there are some problem with regards to
>generators, or simply because it allows for records to be entered directly
>to the table with out using the SP that may not use a proper ID value? I'm
>assuming this is the case but I wanted to check.

NO! not at all! That comment was in response to the original question, which was whether it was better to get the next gen_id with a trigger or with a stored procedure. Under the BDE and IBX, a stored proc can be a very neat way to get hold of it, because those components don't support generators. Under IBO, GeneratorLinks and the Gen_ID() function encapsulate it elegantly and efficiently "under the hood".

Regards,
Helen

All for Open and Open for All