Subject Re: [IBO] ib_query ignores my data!
Author staff@belding
Jason

See below; trimming or not depending on the length of a field is I suggest
not wise.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason Wharton <jwharton@...>
To: <IBObjects@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: [IBO] ib_query ignores my data!

> Paul,
>
> > Just come across a little problem with ib_query.
> >
> > I have a char(1) field which sometimes contains a letter and
> > sometimes a space - IB_query.Fieldbyname('myfield').asstring
> > interprets a space as blank :-(
> >
> > Length(IB_query.Fieldbyname('myfield').asstring)=0
>
> Here's what I would like to do here. I want to make it so that by default
> there is no trimming of spaces when the SQLLen of the text column is only
1.

I suggest this is not a good idea, having the behaviour of the field
dependent on the length of the field.
Length 1 is not "special". The argument for treating length 1 special could
also be made for length 2, ......
I also suggest the default behaviour should be no trimming, not right
trimming.
Users should be allowed to retain right spaces.

Regards

Russell