Subject Re: [IBO] IBO Under Kylix
Author Paul Schmidt
Jason:

On 13 Mar 2001, at 20:55, Jason Wharton wrote:

To: <IBObjects@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Jason Wharton" <jwharton@...>
Date sent: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:55:36 -0700
Send reply to: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [IBO] IBO Under Kylix

Welcome back to the colonies. Good to hear you had a good trip.

> My gut feeling is that Kylix is going to be a lot of work for Borland.
> I am certain they will do a good job and there is a sufficient
> demand/niche for it to be successful in. It is something to rush after
> to capture a significant piece of a ripening market. I think Borland's
> timing is good and I hope to see them continue efforts to enter the
> cross platform arena.

Fortunately what they learn from the Linux port, makes other ports
easier, it doesn't take anywhere near as much to port the Linux
version to Solaris....

> To be downright frank, I'm not really enjoying LINUX that much. So far
> it is much more of an obstacle than Kylix is. Mostly because I am
> having to spend a lot of time figuring stuff out that I used to take
> for granted.

You may be using the wrong Linux, each distribution is a little
different, I have tried a number, I like OpenLinux and Slackware, but
don't like RedHat or Corel. Hopefully Kylix will be made more
flexible distribution wise in the future, so it runs under anything.
I would hate to see it limited to just RedHat, Mandrake and SUSE,
with the flexibility in Linux, you can probably get it to run on
other dstributions, but that could require a lot of hand tuning.

> What I appreciate most about LINUX is it will keep Microsoft on their
> toes better and help them be more driven to keep Windows products more
> solid and reliable. They certainly are more usable compared to what I
> have run into so far.

Linux is one of those things, where things seem to be done in a weird
way, until you get your brain around it, and realize that it's really
doing it the way it should be done. It's a lot like IBO in that
respect.

Paul