Subject RE: [IBO] OT: Help files help
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:59 AM 07-02-01 +0000, you wrote:
>Helen,
>
>regarding the IB Book :
>
>recently on the C++ Builder's lists there was consternation that a new book
>for CPPB 5 was not going to be produced. A number of people got together and
>sorted out how the book should look and invited contributions. A web site
>was set up to show progress and accept ideas & suggestions etc. Eventually,
>Sams published the C++ Builder 5 Developer's Guide. I don't know if Sams
>'put up' some cash up front to pay the rent, but who knows. I for one,
>simply as a hobby programmer, would love to have an IB Book. I am trying to
>get to grips with it in my spare time - what little my wife allows :o) and
>at lunch breaks here at work - not much progress yet :o(
>
>The details of the CPPB book can be found here :
>http://www.bcb5book.force9.co.uk/.
>
>Hopefully, this might just be of some help.

Thanks, Norman, but the IB picture is much more depressing.

Ann Harrison and I have both been trying for years to get publishers
interested in IB as the subject of a book. Quite a chunk of the core
outline came from a rejected book proposal created by some of the best
experts in InterBase, including both Ann H. and Bill Karwin. Unlike C++,
it's no-name software with NO history of successful published literature.

Not to crow or scoff, but we have a MIGHTY amount of community input to get
this book proposal together, we have DONE all the stuff that the CPPB folks
did and more. I've been approached by a number of publishers, have spent
hours tailoring our proposal and have repeated instances of no follow-up or
outright rejection - including a rejection from O'Reilly, they who just
about claim to have invented Open Source, who weren't even interested in
"InterBase in a Nutshell", never mind the Definitive Book.

As I mentioned, a few publishers are interested in receiving a finished MSS.

Publishers aren't interested in throwing money at little lost-in-a-niche
InterBase and it's NOT a new phenomenon. IB was never marketed so it's
virtually unknown. I've come to the conclusion that, unless the project
can find sponsorship from within the IB community (or I win a lottery),
it's a lost cause. There, I said it.

Regards,
Helen

All for Open and Open for All