Subject Re: Is there any easy way to use IB lookup combo on IB grid ?
Author mmenaz
Maybe with "hard to maintenance" you mean that they are too binded to the specific "destination dataset".
So I've "generic lookup queries" in the datamodule, and each form that needs them for it's dataset binds them to the dataset at runtime with this procedure:

procedure TdmDataModule.ChangeGenericLookupSource(
LookupDataset : TIB_DataSet; AKeySource : TIB_DataSource; AKeyLink : string; AKeyDescLink : string = '' ; AddSettings : boolean = False );
begin
with LookupDataset do
begin
Close;
KeySource := AKeySource;
if not AddSettings then
begin
KeyLinks.Clear;
KeyDescLinks.Clear;
end;
if AKeyLink <> '' then KeyLinks.Add(AKeyLink);
if AKeyDescLink <> '' then KeyDescLinks.Add(AKeyDescLink);
Prepare;
Open;
end;
end;

(put it in the FormCreate or FormShow event)
This way I've, for instance, only a lookupdataset for zip codes, and use it wherever I need :)

Hope this will help.
Marco Menardi