Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird SQL 3.0 login from legacy tools?
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 24-2-2018 08:56, Kjell Rilbe kjell.rilbe@...
[firebird-support] wrote:
> New Windows 2016 server with Firebird 3 SuperServer x64 on port 3050.
>
> I'm trying to connect to this server from two legacy tools: SinĂ¡tica
> Monitor and FlameRobin. I can successfully connect with Upscene Database
> Workbench and Firebird Maestro, but the old tools fail, saying "Your
> user name and password are not defined. Ask your database administrator
> to setup a Firebird login."

Which fbclient.dll version do these tools use? What is the 'installed'
fbclient.dll? Do these tools maybe have a local copy of fbclient.dll?

In my experience, Flame Robin works fine with Firebird 3, as long as you
either use a Firebird 3 fbclient.dll with a SRP user, or if you
configured everything correctly for a Legacy Auth user (also needed if
using an older fbclient.dll). Don't know about Sinatica, but there it
likely applies as well.

Are you trying to connect with a SRP user or a Legacy_Auth user?

> I have set firebird.conf as follows, and thought that would be sufficient:
>
> AuthServer = Legacy_Auth, Srp, Win_Sspi
> AuthClient = Legacy_Auth, Srp

It would be better to put Srp first, that way you use the most secure
authentication first, and you don't unintentionally leak credentials
through less secure means.

Also, if you are using Legacy_Auth, then you can't use the default wire
encryption. Did you change the WireCrypt setting from its default of
Required to Enabled (or maybe even Disabled)?

> For each connection attempt, firebird.log shows a message like this:
>
> INET/inet_error: read errno = 10054, client host = HOSTNAME, address =
> 127.0.0.1/49652, user = LoggedInWindowsUser
>
> What could be amiss? I've tried "reading around" but found nothing. :-)
>
> Feel free to reply here, as an alternative (I think the forum should
> move there, actually):
> https://superuser.com/questions/1297659/firebird-sql-3-0-login-from-legacy-tools

Stack Exchange sites like Super User are not actually forums, it is
purely Question & Answer. It is not a place for discussion, which makes
it a lot less suitable for troubleshooting.

Also, Super User is the wrong place, you should have asked on
https://dba.stackexchange.com/ or maybe https://stackoverflow.com/

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel