Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Cannot open database file in local hard disk
Author Eduardo

Hello everybody:

Evidently, as many of you said, the problem was related to the parameter DatabaseAccess in firebird.conf. The strange thing is that this parameter was commented. So it should be the predetermined value, which I think is "Full". Now it is again commented and it is working. It is strange, but it works!

Thank you very much to everyone!!!

Another strange thing. I received some of your mails many hours later. For example, the mail from "Marsupilami79 marsupilami79@..." has date and time 20/02/2018 11:27 (am) but I received it this morning. The same thing happened with other mails.

-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto: Re: [firebird-support] Re: Cannot open database file in local hard disk
De: Eduardo <gusedum@...>
A: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Fecha: 20/02/2018 19:11

Good news!!!
With the tip of Neil I found a strange solution. I did the following:

Try to open a database file with IB_SQL. I couldn't.
Restart Firebird service.
Try to open a database file with IB_SQL. I couldn't.
Make a copy of the original Firebird.conf, which has the commented line #DatabaseAccess = Full.
In Firebird.conf, uncomment the line DatabaseAccess = Full.
Restart Firebird service.
Try to open a database file with IB_SQL. I could!
Delete the modified Firebird.conf and restore the original one, which has the commented line #DatabaseAccess = Full.
Restart Firebird service.
Try to open a database file with IB_SQL. I could!

Conclusion: Now I have the same Firebird.conf as an hour ago, but everything is working fine.

De: 'Neil Pickles' neil.pickles@... [firebird-support] <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com>
A: <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com>
Fecha: 20/02/2018 14:49

In your firebird.conf file, is the following line uncommented (# removed
from the start), if it is add the hash, restart Firebird and try again.

# DatabaseAccess = None

According to the notes in the default firebird.conf file having that
line enabled would mean only files referenced in aliases.conf could be
opened which sounds a lot like your problem.

# Database Paths/Directories

#

# DatabaseAccess may be None, Full or Restrict. If you choose Restrict,

# provide ';'-separated trees list, where database files are stored.

# Relative paths are treated relative to RootDirectory entry

# (see above). Default value 'Full' gives full access to all files

# on your site. To specify access to specific trees, enum all required

# paths (for Win32 this may be something like 'C:\DataBase;D:\Mirror',

# for unix - '/db;/mnt/mirrordb'). If you choose 'None', then only

# databases listed in aliases.conf can be attached.

Regards,

Neil Pickles

Technical Director

CSY House, 9-10 Chase Park, Daleside Road, Nottingham, NG2 4GT

T: 0115 911 1677 M: 07801 316711 F: 0115 959 0959

--------------

@csyretail <http://www.twitter.com/csyretail>
www.csy.co.uk <http://www.csy.co.uk/> neil@...
<mailto:neil@...>

Registered in England No. 2391386, Vat No GB 520 7385 59, Registered
Address: CSY House, 9-10 Chase Park, Daleside Road, Nottingham, NG2 4GT.
Tel 0115 948 4848, Fax 0115 959 0959.

De: 'Neil Pickles' neil.pickles@... [firebird-support]
A: <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com>
Fecha: 20/02/2018 14:04

You're not switching between 32 bit and 64 bit versions of
Firebird are you?

I'm not sure exactly when the change occurred but I remember
similar issues trying to open a 32 bit generated database with a 64 bit
version of Firebird or vice versa. It's definitely okay with v2.5 but
not sure about v2.1 as it's been some time since I use v2.1 for
anything.

When you open it successfully on another computer, is it the
same bitness of Firebird, 32 bit or 64 bit?

Cheers,

Neil Pickles

De: Eduardo <gusedum@...> <mailto:gusedum@...>
A: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Fecha: 20/02/2018 10:57

Hello:

I use Firebird 2.1 and in some computers I cannot open a
database file which is in the local hard disk.

For example, let's suppose I have the database
C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB and I try to open it with IB_SQL (from
IBObjects).

If I use C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB I get "unavailable
database".
If I use SERVERNAME:C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB I get
"unavailable database".
If I use \\SERVERNAME\C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB
<file:///\\%5C%5CSERVERNAME%5CC:%5CTest%5CMYDATABASE.FDB> I get
"unavailable database".

If I modify firebird.conf creating the alias
MYDATABASE=C:\Test\MYDATABASE.FDB, then using MYDATABASE I can open the
database.

In almost every computer with any Windows version (XP,
7, 10, 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016) I can open the database using every one
of the four methods, but in some computers the first three methods
return "unavailable database" and I can open the database only using an
alias. Now I am having the problem in a computer with Windows Server
2008 R2 Standard with Service Pack 1, but I remember having this problem
in other computers from time to time.

Any ideas of which may be the reason? ... and the
solution?

Thanks in advance. Regards

Eduardo

mpaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Libre de virus. www.avast.com