Subject Re: [firebird-support] Concerns about Firebird database to get perform with less downtime.
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 2018-11-13 10:58, Marcelo Guimaraes mfguimaraes@...
[firebird-support] wrote:
> I'm quite new on Firebird world and I have doubts about the database
> maintenance.
> I would like some advices what I should concern and periodically
> execute on the database to leave them working and performing well.
> As a read one way to do this is doing a maintenance doig "gbak -b" and
> "gbak -c", but I want something that can be online, to reduce the
> downtime.

What do you mean? Creating a backup **is** online, and you should
**not** overwrite your existing database after each backup. The advice
to restore the database (to some temporary location) is to double check
that the backup is restorable (certain logical corruptions can allow a
backup to be created but not fully restored, which would be annoying to
find out if you have an emergency).

Mark