Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird 2.5 classic performance issue on linux64
Author Andreas Zeller
Hi guys,

I'm just responding one more time because I want to mark this as solved
for me:

Several things did the trick:

* Upgrade Firebird to 2.5.7 (apparently there was a subquery bug in
2.5.4 which wasn't fixed in the debian package) - thanks to LiENUS
on IRC.
* blockdev -setfra 32768 <datadevice> - this has nothing to do with
firebird but speeds up reads in the RAID array quite a bit. Thanks
to wltjr on IRC.
* switching to manual sweeping over automatic and transaction-based
* doing a complete gbak backup/restore one more time to re-index
* tweaking xinetd (flags = REUSE NODELAY)

Tweaking a system for firebird is a little bit different from tweaking
it for other databases, because firebird uses one huge file and not
several of them scattered all over the filesystem. Not judging, just
saying it's a different approach :)

Maybe I'll write something up on our blog for this so people can more
easily find the bottlenecks. This took me two weeks of research and a
lot of asking around. One simple best-practice howto would have saved me :)

If anyone cares, I will write this down as an optimized firebird linux
setup from start to finish and run this by you guys. Most of the howtos
and optimization resources I could find focus on Windows (CPUAffinity
tweaks, etc.) - and I'd like to help people out who want to skip the
windows section :)

Thanks again.

Andreas

--