Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Not a valid database
Author Seyeong Jeong
Hi again,

Thanks for your responses. As Dmitry has guessed, I've been running 32 bit Firebird on Windows. And using the 32 bit version of the application on linux box, I was able to access the database.

Again thanks for your replies.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Dmitry Yemanov dimitr@... [firebird-support] <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

21.06.2016 03:52, Seyeong Jeong wrote:

> I have a firebird database with ODS version 10.1. While I can open this
> with server version WI-V2.1.7.18553 Firebird 2.1 on Windows without any
> errors, the same operation fails on Ubuntu.

I suspect your Windows version (or Firebird version running there) is
32-bit, correct?

> These are the versions on Firebird I tried on Ubuntu:
>
> - Firebird/linux AMD64 (access method), version "LI-V2.5.1.26351
> Firebird 2.5"
> - Firebird/linux AMD64 (access method), version "LI-V2.1.7.18553
> Firebird 2.1"
> - Firebird/linux AMD64 (access method), version "LI-V2.1.4.18393
> Firebird 2.1"
> - Firebird TCP/IP server version LI-V1.5.4.4910 Firebird 1.5
>
> All versions of Firebird fails to open the database with isql-fb with
> the following message:
>
> SQL> connect "/home/user/a.fdb" user '*******' password '**********';
>
> Statement failed, SQLSTATE = HY000
> file /home/user/a.fdb is not a valid database

This error is raised when the database is not understandable to the engine.

Prior to ODS 11, databases were not binary compatible between 32-bit and
64-bit architectures. You cannot just copy a ODS 10.1 database to a host
with different bitness and use it there. Backup/restore is required instead.

Dmitry

--
/Da Capo/