Subject Re: [firebird-support] FB 3 - Adding anew User
Author
Hi Helen

I understand, I have read the comments, we are reffering to two different things, I mean the sentence in step 2) not further ahead, the sentence as placed on the Release Notes to execute the isql program fails to execute unless it contains the passowrd. What I am referring to is perhaps the sentence should be changed to include the password , let me be specific:

The following statment taken from http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/Firebird-3.0.0-ReleaseNotes.pdf , page 116, "In a suitable shell, start an isql interactive session, opening the employee database via its alias: > isql -user sysdba employee" fails as follows:
isql -user sysdba employee

Statment Failed, SQLSTATE = 28000
Your User Name and PAssword are not defined....

At this stage the connection was in embedded mode, and the service has just been started before running isql.

Now if we change the sentence and add the password the hole things works. That is what I am referrring to.
So the following sentence works fine:

.\isql -user sysdba employee -password 'whatever is your password for SYSDBA'

Other that that little issue, the hole explanation placed under title "Initialization Steps" is very clear, and has helped me understand the way secuity works on F3 3 and why it cannot be backwards compatible hence many security tools from the past dont work.

Cheers,
Fabian

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] FB 3 - Adding anew User

Hello fabianch@...,

> Sorted after reading "Initializing the Security Database" from
> http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/Firebird-3.0.0-ReleaseNotes.pdf
> at  page 116. I think there is a small error on the documentation,
> where it says "  isql -user sysdba employee", the sentence works
> probably on Linux but on Ms WIn  2012 Server R2 it requires the password to run.

No, it does not.  At the start of that very section, we state:

"Initialization is performed in embedded mode using the isql utility.
For an embedded connection, an authentication password is not required
and will be ignored if you provide one"....and so on.  It goes on to
explain that you DO need to supply SYSDBA as the session user:  that's
because maintaining users is a privileged task in the security
database, even though you are connected to a regular database.

From your Original Message -----

> CONNECT
> '127.0.0.1/3050:My_New_DB_Configured_Properly_in_Databases.conf'
> USER 'SYSDBA' PASSWORD 'NewPassNotMasterkey';

Here, you are using a client/server connection, not an embedded one.
You certainly need to supply full credentials for that.

So - time to read that chapter again.

Helen

------------------------------------
Posted by: Helen Borrie <helebor@...>
------------------------------------

Visit http://www.firebirdsql.org and click the Documentation item
on the main (top) menu.  Try FAQ and other links from the left-side menu there.

Also search the knowledgebases at http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: