Subject ODP: [firebird-support] Re: Holding a connection open forever
Author liviuslivius
hi,

you should identity this long running transaction. if you use fb2.5 than this is simple by mon$TRANSACTIONS table

regards,
Karol Bieniaszewski

-------- Oryginalna wiadomość --------
Od: "lizwatson02452@... [firebird-support]" <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com>
Data: 21.10.2015 15:00 (GMT+01:00)
Do: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Temat: [firebird-support] Re: Holding a connection open forever

Hi Tim,

What are the implications of holding a connection to the database open
forever (and running millions and millions of tiny transactions flat out
through that connection)?

What difference would it make if we dropped the connection periodically?

We had a similar issue with long running connections, and finally resorted to dropping the connection periodically.

One thing I noticed in our gstat -h output was that the oldest transaction number was not moving forward. I could not never figure out why. We use auto commit and ODBC, not explicit transactions. Dropping the connection every few hours resolved our problem.

Liz Watson