Subject Odp: [firebird-support] Readcomitted ReadOnly Tr ansaction - Commit or Rollback?
Author liviuslivius@poczta.onet.pl
Hi,

Do you have only on test env. 400 transactions per second or it will be also near number on real env?

I ask because you can reach transaction counter limit in two months.

Regards,
Karol Bieniaszewski

----- Reply message -----
Od: "Ralf Jansen" <ralf.jansen@...>
Do: <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com>
Temat: [firebird-support] Readcomitted ReadOnly Transaction - Commit or Rollback?
Data: śr., lut 26, 2014 13:15

Hi,

when ending a ReadCommited ReadOnly Transaction and releasing resources what's considered Best Practice? Commit or Rollback. And if someone can elaborate and why it would be welcome.

Some Background to the question. I'm trying to optimize write Performance on the used storage subsystem. Firebird embedded 2.5.2 is used in a Windows .Net Application and Database files are located on a NAS.
When monitoring the system via the Windows PerformanceCounters i see writes to the database. In my test environment when having around 400 Readonly Transactions per second (and nothing else) it sums up to around 2.5MB per second.
Looking at Mon$Transactions at the same time shows 0 Page_Writes/Page_Marks. I'm not sure if I can trust that values as I'm looking at the table inside the readonly transactions before commit/rollback since the values would be gone afterwards.
The only thing I can think of that gets written are the transaction Counters. But that shouldn't be that much?

Best Regards
Ralf