Subject Re: [firebird-support] There are risks accessing a database with two servers?
Author Mark Rotteveel
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 09:37:19 -0400, W O
<sistemas2000profesional@...>
wrote:
> Hello everybody:
>
> After reading in this article:
> http://www.firebirdfaq.org/faq3/
>
> "Alternatively, you can add a second server to do long running reports
> (OLAP) and keep Super Server for fast transactions (OLTP)."
>
> it seems possible and desirable to have 2 Servers, one for long running
> reports (probably using Classic) and another for the other tasks (using
> SuperServer)
>
> Is that right?
>
> There are not risks of corrupting the database doing so?

I don't think they are talking about using two servers on the same
database. My guess is it is talking about a two (or more) database setup:
One is the OLTP database and the other its the OLAP / data warehouse
database. The OLTP is used for the actual 'business' side of things, the
OLAP for generating reports. The OLAP database is reloaded (or
synchronized) regularly from the OLTP database, but might be slightly out
of date.

Mark