Subject Re: [firebird-support] Restoring backup from 2.5 to 2.1
Author Milan Babuskov
Aldo Caruso wrote:
> When I try to restore a backup done in a 2.5 firebird server to a 2.1
> firebird server, I get the following error message:
>
> gbak:transportable backup -- data in XDR format
> gbak: ERROR:Expected backup version 1..8. Found 9
> gbak:Exiting before completion due to errors
>
> Isn't it possible to restore a backup database from a 2.5 to a 2.1
> firebird server ?

It is not possible since 2.5 introduces incompatible changes. If you
need to move from 2.5 back to 2.1, the only way would be to copy data
from one database into another. I tried this in the past and met with
another problem: which version to use to access the databases for copy.
IIRC, 2.5 did alter the database structure so I could not use it with
2.1. The final solution was to start up the source database on 2.5
server and prepare a clean database on a different machine with 2.1
server. And then I copied the data using FBCopy tool.

To prepare a clean database, you can use something like "isql -x" to
dump the database schema from 2.5, and then run that script on an empty
database with Firebird 2.1.

Good luck.

--
Milan Babuskov