|Subject||Re: Index Corruption Firebird 1.5|
Yes we plan to move to the latest version which is already under way but lately these index issues have become a daily nag. Will try and upgrade the customer to 1.56 in the mean while and see if that solves it for the time being.
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, Thomas Steinmaurer <ts@...> wrote:
> >> Recently we have started noticing problems at many of our customers
> >> where the index on certain tables are either corrupted or inactive.
> >> These are three different scenarios that we have and I hope you can give
> >> me some info on what is causing this.
> >> 1. Index's are in the inactive state.2. Index whose definition was
> >> changed and also in inactive state.3. Indexes are active but the select
> >> using that index was not returning any results but once we inactivate
> >> and reactivate the indexes it starts to work properly.
> >> We are using Firebird 126.96.36.19926 and IBO components. We do a background
> >> process at night to inactivate and reactivate all indexes but this
> >> hasn't really helped the cause. We have checked to make sure that no
> >> person is playing with the database and causing this issue and its
> >> something in the program or some other factor which is causing this
> >> issue. We have checked the code around the tables where these problems
> >> exist and couldn't find anything that could cause the problem.
> >> I hope that some of you can let me know what to look for to fix this
> >> issue.
> > AFAIR, quite some index corruption issues have been fixed in the 2.x series.
> If you need to stay at 1.5 as a short-term plan, you should at least
> update to 1.5.6, because it has the following fixed:
> With regards,
> Thomas Steinmaurer