Subject Re: [firebird-support] FB database in RAM
Author Kjell Rilbe
Den 2011-08-03 14:25 skrev Kjell Rilbe såhär:
> For performance reasons we're considering a setup where our 50+ Gbyte
> Firebird database would reside on a RAM-disk.

After the discussion here as well as a discussion between me and my
partner and after getting some info on the cost of a server with 60+
Gbyte RAM, we are now aiming at a solution where only the relevant parts
of our ~60 Gbyte database will be "published" to a separate and much
smaller database that will be structured and indexed for optimal search
performance. This smaller DB will be placed on SSD or RAM disk instead
of the huge one.

Both bases will be accessed and maintained by the same web application,
enabling us to do unusual complicated searches that are not possible in
the fast search database, but always do as much as possible in the fast
one, and then do the rest in the "back end" slower system.

The large DB will, for the time being, stay on a regular RAID1 volume
with 15 krpm SCSI disks.

It's been an interesting discussion and I hope it will keep going a
little while longer, e.g. regarding disk controllers with SSD cache.

Regards,
Kjell
--
Kjell Rilbe