Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: FB database in RAM
Author Lester Caine
Kjell Rilbe wrote:
> This is actually along the lines I was thinking, except that I wouldn't
> even use SSD:s.
My own investigations on SSD's has been as a replacement for the machines hard
disk. The problem I currently see is all the 'background' stuff from the OS
which I think is more of a problem than the database writes, so creating a RAM
disk with all the heavy read/write activity while managing the stuff that NEEDS
to be stored is where I was up to. I did have a setup running from a USB stick
without any other hard disk, but it was not reliable probably due more to the
state of technology 10 years ago, AND needing to run windows :) Nowadays a Linux
kernel can be configured to run correctly, and give a machine with no moving
parts ( not even fans :) ) so adding replication over the network to a second
machine as additional backup this is a lot more practical.

( Before people say 'virtual' - we have announcements to make, hardware to
control and displays to run - windows current 'remote access' visualises the
sound, so the local announcements stop :( Not very helpful )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL