Subject Re: [firebird-support] Run Firebird Database In Memory?
Author Steve Wiser
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM, kasparovimnot <pconn75@...> wrote:

> Hello,
> We are running a 2.1 superserver db on a 64 bit CentOS Linux server. The
> database is about 30gb and we are experiencing bottlenecks in searching due
> to disk speed, despite the fact that the database is on a 15k RPM SAS array.
> We are building a new server to house the database that has 32gb of RAM and
> are wondering how to optimally configure Firebird so that as much as
> possible of the database is loaded into memory. Is this simply a matter of
> setting the page buffers? Any information would be greatly appreciated as
> I've found very little documentation around the web on optimizing.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Not sure what anyone else has seen, but I have not noticed any performance
difference between putting the fdb on a ram disk vs on a regular disk. It
looked to me like linux was actually caching the file and loading it into
memory for me.

Instead we saw better performance when we setup a ram disk and configured
firebird to use that as the first set of temporary files (sort files) and
then fall over to /tmp if it outgrew it.

I guess you could try both and see what works best for you.

-steve

--
Steve Wiser
President