Subject Re: [firebird-support] Firebird upgrade without taking a backup before
Author Ann Harrison
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Joe Galinke <netz@...> wrote:
> If I got the description how to change the ODS of a database right
> (Firebird-gbak.pdf), then I have to use different gbak versions to do
> so.

No, you have to use different versions of gbak to revert a database from
a newer ODS to an older one (a process that isn't entirely guaranteed,
but normally works). New servers understand old ODS versions to an
amazing degree (more than 12 years old), so you can install the new
version then backup and restore with the installed server and tools and
you'll be on the new ODS.

Or, you can run the new software with the old ODS and just forgo some
of the new features. When you want those features, backup and restore.

Good Luck,

Ann