Subject Re: [firebird-support] Linux vs Windows performance FB 2.1
Author Anderson Farias
Hi,

According to this benchmark

http://firebirdsurgeon.blogspot.com/2009/11/firebird-25-benchmark-firebird-shows.html

Firebird is a lot slower on Linux boxes.

I, as much as you, was surprised by that. This benchmark has cleared for me why my application runs slower on a Linux machine even the hardware being beter than a Windows box.

Regards,
Anderson

--- Em seg, 28/2/11, Kok_BG <kok_bg@...> escreveu:

De: Kok_BG <kok_bg@...>
Assunto: [firebird-support] Linux vs Windows performance FB 2.1
Para: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Data: Segunda-feira, 28 de Fevereiro de 2011, 20:22

Hi Folks

I made some tests on windows and linux these days and I was surprised that the linux build is sometime much slower than the windows.

The setup:

Dell Precision Workstation 650 2x Xeon with 533MHz FSB and 512KB L2 @ 2800MHz. Storage: Integrated Ultra 320 SCSI controller with one 36GB HDD @ 10000 rpm. 2 GB RAM.

I used a backup of one database 1.6GB sized.

Windows setup - default SS on windows 7 ultimate;

Linux setup - CS on gentoo 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 #2 SMP

On Linux, firebird was installed via gentoo portage system and was properly complied with the correct CFLAGS in the make.conf

Have someone the same observation?

I always thought that the Linux is the better solution for FB.

Some of the measurement:

1. restore database - windows was ~10% faster;

2. Long stored procedure that reads one big table and pumps the data in another table - 30% faster

3. create shadow - 30% faster;

4. same check as (2) on the shadowed DB - 240% (!) faster

It seems that the HDD write speed is the problem. All linux drivers seems correct installed.

Can someone advise - is it normal, or there is a problem with something?