Subject Re: [firebird-support] DB with bad design
Author unordained
---------- Original Message -----------
From: Markus Ostenried <macnoz@...>
> Although it won't work magic I think FB 2+ could improve some things,
> e.g. better speed on indexes with low selectivity. Also you can even
> put indexes on calculated fields.
> Why don't you try it out on a dev machine? Real testing with a few
> sample queries will be the best answer.
> Markus
------- End of Original Message -------

Reminder: indexing computed-by fields is great, but isn't magic. Only index a
computed-by field that involves a function like current_date, or refers to
another table, if you have a scheduled job or trigger in place to force a row
update to keep the value and the index synchronized.

-Philip