Subject Re: [firebird-support] Disable
Author Helen Borrie
At 02:08 PM 24/03/2009, you wrote:
>Hi Helen,
>
>Personally I am fine with that - I am not using Vista ;)
>
>My software uses embedded Firebird (fbclient.dll) and obviously it's
>installed in the Program Files\.

Why "obviously"? It can be anywhere. "Embedded Firebird" on Windows is fbembed.dll, although it's a fairly common practice to rename it to fbclient.dll or gds32.dll for apps and interfaces that expect that name.

>That's why firebird.log appears there..

firebird.log appears in Firebird's root directory. Of course, if you install your app into Program Files, it can hardly avoid writing there! ;-)

>OK, I've found something - seems, this file is created only when "embedded
>server" client library is used to connect to remote server.

Not correct. The *server* (whatever it is) creates it. So if you're used fbembed.dll as a remote client, there's nothing in the client code that makes it write a firebird.log locally.

>It will not be created if "client" client library is in use.

I don't know quite what you mean here. The client code doesn't create logs.

>I'd think that both client and embedded libraries should behave identically
>when they used as clients?

They do. But if you have (at any point in the past) used the embedded server that you have there *and* the embedded server needed to log something, then it would have created firebird.log. Otherwise, it won't be there. And while you are using fbembed.dll as only a client, there won't be anything added to the log.

If you are seeing something anomalous, try to set up a simple test case and post a Tracker ticket. When you do, make sure you describe versions exactly.

./heLen