Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: Firebird 2.1.1 Gbak Issues
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:44 AM 13/03/2009, you wrote:
>here is another error that I get sometimes on a restore of the noon backup. Again, I have never had this problem with the backup when there is noone on the system.
>
>gbak: ERROR:attempt to store duplicate value (visible to active transactions) in unique index "RDB$INDEX_11"
>gbak:Exiting before completion due to errors

This during a **backup** ?? gbak -b ??? That smells like a batch script or scheduler entry that has the wrong switch. Eeeew! Check 'im!

RDB$INDEX_11 is the unique index on the generator name in RDB$GENERATORS. Now, a *restore* would be pumping data into that table so it's slightly feasible that this error could occur during a *restore*...though it would suggest that someone has been meddling with that system table unless at some point a partially restored database was put into production use.

gbak -b doesn't write to the database at all. However (unless flagged otherwise with the -g switch) its select * queries on all tables triggers garbage collection, which writes to disk at a much lower level than DDL and certainly doesn't create, alter or drop records in the system tables.

./heLen