Subject Re: [firebird-support] Strange error in FB CS 2.1.3
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:01 PM 19/12/2009, you wrote:
>Hello, i'm trying to move one database from FB1 to FB 2.1.3 classic server.
>
>I'm getting errors with message
>
>This column cannot be updated because it is derived from an SQL function or expression. attempted update of read-only column.
>
>This error raises when calling a storedproc, and in the first line of the stored proc i have writed
>
>exception XXXX; to force the exception, and the error still raises.
>
>I have done it from my app and ibmanager executing the stored proc.
>
>The same one is executed fine in FB1, IB 2007, IB 2009.
>
>¿has anyone had this problem?

I'm pretty sure that what you are encountering is not a "strange error" but a genuine exception relating to triggers on the table your procedure wants to update. Fb 1 and Interbase had a bug that has been fixed from Fb 2 onwards. That is, it is illogical to attempt to update a field in an After trigger. Whereas Firebird 1.0 and InterBase simply ignored it, Fb 1.5 issued a warning (which many developers just ignored) and Fb 2-onwards (correctly) issue the exception that you see.

So look at your triggers and fix them.

./heLen